(This is part of the 7 Steps To Accomplish A Dream Series)
Lately, I’ve been thinking and praying a lot about my dreams and goals. In fact, I can’t seem to shake them. I keep thinking about what I’ve been able to accomplish, but I still want to do more with my life. Do you ever think about this or wrestle with these thoughts? If you do, then you’re in good company!
In this process I have thought about what I have accomplished in my life. I remember while I was in college I began to think I wanted to get a Master’s Degree. Little did I know, about 8 years later the dream would be fulfilled in my life. As I reflected on this I looked to see how I accomplished this.
Before I say anything about the steps I took to fulfill this dream I will say I know the Lord gave me this dream and pushed me toward it. In fact, he’s the first step in the process. Until you confess Jesus as your Lord and Savior and invite him to lead your life, then you will keep going around in circles. Without him in the process, then you’re already down before you get out of the gate.
Once you get this part right you can begin identifying the dream in your life.
This part is simple enough. What is it you believe God is calling you to do? Was it the pizza you ate the night before or is it a God-sized dream? The pizza feeling will go away, but a God-sized dream will not!
How can you tell if it’s a God dream? In my opinion there are a few questions that you can ask:
- Can you accomplish the dream on your own? (If you can’t, then it might be a God-sized dream.)
- Will the dream cause you to draw closer to God? (It should cause you to seek him more.)
- Will the dream involve some sacrifice on your part? (If it doesn’t cost you something, then it might not be.)
- Will the dream cause you to depend on others to make it happen?
- Will the dream just benefit you, but other people as well?
- Could the dream fail if God doesn’t show up?
- Can you do something else and be happy? (If not, then it might be a God-sized dream.)
- Will the dream bring glory to God? (It should definitely do this.)
If your dream is just about you, then it’s probably not a God-sized dream!