How To Deal With A Jerk
Everyone knows a jerk. Hopefully, you’re not the one that everyone knows! If you’ve been breathing long enough you will realize there is no shortage of them. Most of the jerks that you know don’t even realize they are one. The jerks in your life think they are doing everyone a favor or helping the organizations they are a part of but in fact, they’re driving everyone crazy!
Believe it or not the Bible speaks a lot about jerks. In fact, the book of Proverbs quite often refers to them as fools. According to Proverbs a fool is one “who lacks judgment, sense or understanding.” Does this describe someone in your life? What are some other characteristics of jerks?
- A jerk talks too much. Proverbs 10:10
- A jerk talks about everyone else. Proverbs 10:18
- A jerk is hardheaded and doesn’t take advice. Proverbs 12:15
- A jerk doesn’t think before he speaks. Proverbs 12:23
- A jerk has a short temper and is reckless. Proverbs 14:16
- A jerk is not teachable. Proverbs 15:5
- A jerk likes to argue with people. Proverbs 20:3
I think by now you get the point of what a jerk acts like. If this is the case, then how should we respond when we encounter a jerk?
- Ignore the jerk because he will only disrespect you. Proverbs 23:9
- Refuse to treat him like he treats you so that you don’t sink to their level. Proverbs 26:4
- Learn to keep short accounts and not keep score with people. Matthew 18:21-22
- Kill them with kindness and treat them like you want them to treat you. Proverbs 25:21-22
- Pray for them because you never know what’s going on in their lives. Matthew 5:44
In many cases you can’t escape people like this because they are everywhere. They’re at work, church, your extended family, coffee shop and just about anywhere else that you can think of. I remind people all the time that everyone is going to have a bad day every now and then. It’s no excuse for their actions but it does offer us some perspective. How will you choose to respond the next time you encounter a jerk?
What other ways have you responded to a jerk?
I'm a pastor, writer and serial encourager. I like to help people to grow in their relationship with God. I live outside of Atlanta, GA. I've written a book, Stubborn Faith: 30 Day Devotional Guide For New Growth. It's available for download on Amazon. Feel free to follow me on Twitter at @ericspeir